gentlefeministsupermommy

I am a feminist super mommy. This blog will be a hybrid discussing feminism and the effects of patriarchy. And it will also discuss parenting. A strange hybrid, but I think both often run into one another in terms of the basis of belief systems :)

Saturday, July 29, 2006

X post about why I chose a homebirth

First off, you don't know what kind of drugs were in the women who had uterine ruptures. they may have been pumped full of pit and made to lie flat on their backs.

I researched this to death. probably even more so because I chose to do it at home. I had my medical records looked at. A few things I had in my favour:1 )it had been 24 months since my section (barely :giggle) 2) I had a double suture when I was sewn up 3) I had progressed fully to the pushing stage, and my body would "remember" what it had done before. Not in my favour 1) that I had run a fever during labour. of course I had an epi at one point, and there is a known cause and effect from an epi to spike a temp even if you don't have an infection. 2)I had the doctor recommend to my dh that I always schedule surgeries, not that he said why. this put a lot of self doubt in my head that I had to work through. as I looked at the surgical notes, there was nothing "odd" about them. it was a pretty standard surgery as surgeries go. I really had to trust myself and believe that this was the path God wanted me to go down to have my baby.
I also really believe that if I had chosen to give birth in a hospital, I would not have been successful. I think they would have cut me open before I had the chance to get the baby out. I had to use A LOT of different positioning to get dd2 out that my doctors wouldn't know the first thing about. I don't even think a CNM would have known to use them. It took two hours of pushing. I think if I had been in the hospital, I would have "failed" again and would have been deeply depressed about the whole thing. but this time I did it, with a very large head that was tilted the wrong way. except she came out, and her sister didn't.

If you chose to do a VBAC you really must trust yourself and trust that God has lead you to the place where you are. I read from a doctor who was saying how much she admired women who gave birth at home, she said it was a statement of how much they trusted themselves and wishes she had done it. For me, it was a statement of how much I trusted that God had brought me to this place and that He was going to take care of me, no matter what the outcome. That His peace was bigger than the fear that many doctors operate from. once I made the decision, I never looked back.
but that is my story and I am confident God will lead you in yours. :amen

1 Comments:

Blogger Psalmist said...

You really are a gentle feminist super mommy. Give this woman a red cape! And true super powers, to keep up with a toddler and a newborn!

Nice blog, gfsm!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home