Another post from my thread
This woman came along and did the proof texting as to why its good to hit your kids for Jesus. the usual "God punishes us and to learn we need to hurt our kids too so they behave." I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoyed. considered how irritated I was this is what I wrote:
I was discussing only ideas that were portrayed on this board and my POV of them. I did not attack anyone personally. so if you are directing that comment on me, I am not sure why.
Secondly, I come from a camp who believes that God is gracious, therefore we should be gracious to our children. You can pull out any scripture you would like, which I refer to as proof texting, to justify your position. what I think is most sad is that people think your view is the only one represented in Christianity. wow, people that hit their kids and say they are doing it for Jesus because its gotta hurt! To me I also have a moral issue with a larger person hitting a smaller person just because they can. I chose to operate from a completely different paradigm in my parenting and I am quite okay with that. punishment and spankings are not a part of it.
I also have a huge problem with the statement "Jesus knows discipline is suppose to be unpleasant." I guess hitting my kid is a part of that? I guess sending them into a "time out" to isolate them is a part of that as well? I guess humilating them by exposing their bare bottom for you to swat is a part of that as well? again, I cannot fathom the Jesus I have read and know about doing that.
I suppose not getting the things you want in life can be inherantly unpleasant. I would like a million dollars and I don't foresee that happening. but I also don't like the implication from you that if I don't spank and punish my child, I am not discipling her and she is not going to understand how God deals with us. which is apparently punishment as well.
so it ultimately goes back to our view of God.
I was discussing only ideas that were portrayed on this board and my POV of them. I did not attack anyone personally. so if you are directing that comment on me, I am not sure why.
Secondly, I come from a camp who believes that God is gracious, therefore we should be gracious to our children. You can pull out any scripture you would like, which I refer to as proof texting, to justify your position. what I think is most sad is that people think your view is the only one represented in Christianity. wow, people that hit their kids and say they are doing it for Jesus because its gotta hurt! To me I also have a moral issue with a larger person hitting a smaller person just because they can. I chose to operate from a completely different paradigm in my parenting and I am quite okay with that. punishment and spankings are not a part of it.
I also have a huge problem with the statement "Jesus knows discipline is suppose to be unpleasant." I guess hitting my kid is a part of that? I guess sending them into a "time out" to isolate them is a part of that as well? I guess humilating them by exposing their bare bottom for you to swat is a part of that as well? again, I cannot fathom the Jesus I have read and know about doing that.
I suppose not getting the things you want in life can be inherantly unpleasant. I would like a million dollars and I don't foresee that happening. but I also don't like the implication from you that if I don't spank and punish my child, I am not discipling her and she is not going to understand how God deals with us. which is apparently punishment as well.
so it ultimately goes back to our view of God.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home